Wednesday 24 November 2010

Mastheads

These are the 3 mastheads i designed for my music magazine, i will be picking one of them to be my final design and use it as my magazine masthead. I have decided to call my magazine Beatz.
Masthead design 1:
I liked this masthead for a lot of reasons. Firstly its well suited to the the RnB genre my music magazine will be based on, this is down to its graffitti type text. The text of the masthead is very 3D, the letters look as though they are coming out from the background, this is good as it makes the masthead interesting and different from other music magazine mastheads. I decided to make the colour of this masthead red, this is because red is a very balanced colour, males and females have equal levels of association with the colour. Also red is very bright, this means the masthead will be eye catching and grab peoples attention, this is good for etablishing a good brand image. A problem i can see with this masthead is that some of the letters are different and some people may struggle to understand what the masthead says, this is down to the graffitti stye, however my target audience will most likely understand what its saying and find the typography very apealing.

Masthead Design 2:

The font i used to make this masthead is very different to the text used in my first design. This text is very modern, i think this goes well with the music side of the magazine as alot of todays music is very modern and done using technology. I also like this text as i feel it is very bold and clear to to read, this makes it easy for my target audience to identify the masthead. I decided to edit the text and make it look textured, this was good as it no other music magazine mastheads are textured, however i dont think the textured text is that suitable for the music magazine and i dont think my target market would like it that much. The colours used in this masthead are all shades of blue, i chose blue as its a very popular colour in the RnB music genre. The dark blue is very boyish but the light blue outline softens it and makes it more apealing to females, this is usefull as i am trying to aim my magazine at both genders.

Masthead Design 3: In this masthead i used the same font as the previous design, this was because i wanted to develop the design and improve it so it would appeal more to my target audience. I started by changing the colour scheme to grey and purple, i like these colours as they complement each other well and would go well as my music magazines overall colour scheme. Also the colours appeal equally to males and females, this will help me reach my target audience. On this masthead i decided to not to make the text 3D or texturized, this was because my market research showed me the simplicity of the mastheads from already existing music magazines, so i decided that i would keep my masthead simple using the idea 'less is more' as inspiration. I think the simplicity of the text worked well as the masthead is clean, bold and eye catching, this will make it easy for my target audience to identify my magazine and recognize it as a good music magazine.

I have decided that i will use my 3rd design as the masthead for my music magazine. This is because i feel its a development of the previous designs. Also i feel it is the design that would appeal most to my target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment